Thursday, June 14, 2012

Duma Toubab, Awa laa tudd…

**** This was written about a week after arriving at my site, so nearly a month ago, I can't believe it has been so long!*** Duma Toubab, Awa laa tudd… Yesterday at around 5:30pm a town meeting took place to introduce the most recent addition to the village, a toubab by the name of Awa Sy, in other words, me. I was worried about the meeting because as most who have interacted with me in Wolof know, my knowledge of the language is limited, which of course they make a point of reminding me of by saying “Deggul Wolof” (She doesn’t understand Wolof), this I actually do understand. The meeting started as all meeting should begin according to tradition, in prayer. Everyone lowered their heads and held their hands in front of their faces. Once the prayer was complete, one of my counterparts Moussa Thiam did a wonderful job of explaining what the Peace Corps is, when it began and when we started working in Senegal. He discussed the importance of working with me, including me in the community (not calling me a Toubab etc.) I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of the meeting when I arrived home and overheard my neighbor form the compound across the road scolding some children for calling me a toubab (I term I do not find offensive at all, just a little annoying. With that said I would be annoyed by anything being repeated over and over and over again every time I walk by.) * Side Note: They are children and simply want your attention, if they don’t know your name the only way to get your attention is by calling you the only thing that differentiates you from others. Toubab (Foreigner). I cannot disagree with their choice of words because as much as I would like to hide it, I am indeed a Toubab. I am both excited and scared about the next 2 years. My biggest fear is that the community expects me to do great things or as one man in the meeting said “ You are here to build the foundation for many things to come.” I hope I am capable of doing so. Sustainable development comes with time, patience, hard work and above all respect for the community and it’s culture. Above all I wanted the people of Louly Ndia to understand that I did not come here to change the essence of who they are or what they believe in, nor am I here to plaster the American flag on every completed project. I am here to empower the people to do the things I know they are capable of doing themselves. As much as we come here to a make a difference, I think it is equally important to learn from the people without looking down on them simply because we come from a more developed place. One of the things I admire the most about the Senegalese people is their ability to live side by side with people of different religions and ethnic backgrounds. In my village alone as was clearly demonstrated in the meeting yesterday as both Catholics and Muslims lowered their heads and prayed together. The crowd was made up of Pulaars, Sereers, Jolas and Wolofs, all sitting together, teasing each other, laughing, and working together in order to improve their community. The western world has a lot to learn from that small town meeting, the ability to embrace their differences rather than tip toe around them and pretend they don’t exist ultimately creating a greater divide. Alas, I am indeed a Toubab but I am learning to be more Senegalese.

No comments:

Post a Comment